Protecting Your Solar Investment: Tips For Hail Damage Prevention
November 3, 2023
Solar power is an increasingly popular and eco-friendly way to generate electricity for your home or business. The benefits of harnessing the sun’s energy are undeniable, from reducing your carbon footprint to saving on your electricity bills.
However, as a solar system owner, you must be aware of the potential risks to your investment, such as hail damage. Hailstorms can significantly impact the performance and efficiency of your solar panels.
In this blog post, we’ll explore some valuable tips on how to protect your solar investment from hail damage and ensure the longevity of your system with the help of a professional solar panel company.
How Hail Can Damage Solar Panels?
Hail is a type of solid precipitation that occurs within thunderstorms when powerful updrafts lift raindrops high into extremely frigid regions of the atmosphere. These raindrops freeze into ice pellets, forming hailstones.
The size of hailstones can vary significantly, ranging from small pebbles to large golf balls or even larger. Hailstones can have a solid or layered structure, and they can cause damage to objects exposed to the storm.
Here are several types of damage that hailstones can lead to:
Cracked Or Broken Glass: Hailstones can strike solar panels with significant force, causing cracks or fractures in the glass surface. This can impair the panel’s ability to capture sunlight and generate electricity.
- Cell Damage: Solar panels consist of individual solar cells that are interconnected. Hail impact can damage or break these cells, reducing the panel’s overall power output.
- Frame Damage: The frames surrounding solar panels are typically made of aluminum or other materials. Hail impact can dent or bend the frames, potentially affecting the structural integrity of the panel.
- Backsheet Damage: The backsheet on the rear side of solar panels protects the electrical components. Hail impact can puncture or tear the back sheet, exposing the panel to moisture or other environmental elements, which may lead to further damage or corrosion.
- Wiring And Junction Box Damage: Hail impact can damage the wiring connections and the junction box of the solar panel, potentially leading to electrical faults or malfunctions.
- Microcracks: Hail may cause small, less visible microcracks on the glass or the cells surface. Over time, these microcracks can develop into larger cracks due to thermal stress or moisture ingress, leading to reduced efficiency and potential failure of the affected cells or panels.
Tips For Protecting Your Solar Investment From Hail Damage
You can protect your solar investment by following these tips:
Choose Quality Solar Panels
Investing in high-quality solar panels is the first step in protecting your solar investment from hail damage. Look for panels with durable materials and robust construction. High-quality panels are often designed to withstand harsh weather conditions, including hailstorms.
While quality solar panels may be slightly more expensive upfront, they can save you money in the long run by reducing the risk of damage and the need for frequent repairs. It is highly recommended that you rely on professional solar panel services as their expertise enables them to effectively advise you on what solar energy system is best for your specific requirements.
Install Protective Measures
There are various protective measures you can implement to shield your solar panels from hail damage. Some options include:
- Hail Guards: Hail guards are mesh or net-like structures installed over the solar panels to absorb the impact of hailstones. They can significantly reduce the risk of damage, especially during severe storms.
- Impact-Resistant Glass: Some solar panel manufacturers offer impact-resistant glass options that are designed to withstand hail and other weather-related risks.
- Protective Films: Clear protective films can be applied to the surface of solar panels to prevent damage from hail and other environmental factors.
Regular Maintenance & Inspections
Regular maintenance and inspections are essential to identify and address any hail damage promptly. It’s crucial to hire a professional to inspect your solar panels at least once a year or after a severe weather event.
They can identify any issues, including hail damage, and recommend the necessary repairs or replacements. This is where professional solar panel installation and maintenance services can help you.
Stay Informed About Weather Conditions
Stay informed about weather conditions in your area to anticipate and prepare for hailstorms. Monitoring weather forecasts and taking preventive measures when hail is expected can help reduce the risk of damage. This might include temporarily disconnecting your solar system or using protective covers if a severe hailstorm is imminent.
About Sundawg Solar
Sundawgs Solar has a team of qualified and experienced solar panel contractors. We are passionate about helping homeowners and businesses go solar and save money on their energy bills.
With our high-quality solar panel systems, you don’t have to worry about damage from external factors, as our contractors pay special attention to the proper alignment and installation of solar panels. Contact us today to learn more.